[rust-dev] Is there a PNG lib?
Oldřich Vetešník
2014-09-08 13:44:08 UTC
Hello,

I?m curious - is there a PNG processing lib for Rust? I?d like to write a tiny client tool for processing a directory of images into HTML and I?ll need to resize those big images.
I tried searching but wasn?t very successful. :-)

Thank you,
Ollie
Corey Richardson

Vladimir Matveev
2014-09-08 13:57:16 UTC
Hi!

These libraries may be interesting for you:
* https://github.com/servo/rust-png
* https://github.com/PistonDevelopers/rust-image

It is also very simple to run external tools like ImageMagick from Rust. You will need Command [1] API for that.

[1]: http://doc.rust-lang.org/std/io/process/struct.Command.html
Oldřich Vetešník

Vladimir Matveev
2014-09-08 14:09:56 UTC
You?re welcome :)

Cargo will provide a central repository in the future, but in the meantime you can use these sites [1][2] to search for packages. Also, as Github is the main repository hosting used by the Rust community, you can search there and you can be fairly confident that if you can?t find something there then it probably does not exists :)

[1]: http://www.rust-ci.org/
[2]: http://rustkit.io/
Post by Oldřich Vetešník
Awesome, thank you guys!
I?m really looking forward to ?cargo search?. :-)
Ollie
Hi!
Oldřich Vetešník
2014-09-08 14:22:49 UTC
Awesome again. :-)

I think those two could/should be mentioned in the Cargo FAQ until it is ready.
Also Cargo could be mentioned on doc.rust-lang.org somewhere, probably in the crates section.
I?ll try to come up with a PR if there is time.

Ollie
Post by Oldřich Vetešník
Awesome, thank you guys!
I?m really looking forward to ?cargo search?. :-)
Ollie
Hi!