[rust-dev] Place for discussions
Tobias Müller
2014-07-31 01:08:37 UTC
Hello,

I'm following rust for quite a while, but the discussions are more and more
distributed between different places.
The mailing list was probably first, then with more user attention reddit
and StackOverflow, and now the discourse forum.

I understand that StackOverflow and Reddit are more for users, not
developers, but the discourse forum seems mostly redundant.

What's the reason for that split? Is the mailing list deprecated? Which one
is the future?

I for myself prefer the mailing list because of the gmane NNTP service, I
can use my usual usenet software and have all my forums in one place.

Tobi
Evan G
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Here's the current state of official project support for various forums:

* discourse.rust-lang.org is for *discussion of the development of Rust
itself*. It is maintained by Mozilla.
* r/rust is for user discussion. It is maintained by the community.
* rust-dev is for user discussion. It is maintained by Mozilla. It used
to be for development discussion but none of the core developers like
working there because the signal-to-noise is awful and it is unmoderatable.
* stackoverflow is ultimately where we want users to go for help.

Discourse is an *experiment* to see if it works better than mailing
lists for having civil conversations. If it works, we may shut off the
mailing list. It's not clear whether we would extend discourse to
general Rust discussion or leave reddit and stackoverflow for that.
Kevin Cantu
2014-07-31 22:59:54 UTC
That link didn't work for me, but this does:
http://discuss.rust-lang.org/t/about-this-forum-please-read/6

Kevin :)

Post by Tobias Müller
Hello,
I'm following rust for quite a while, but the discussions are more and more
distributed between different places.
The mailing list was probably first, then with more user attention reddit
and StackOverflow, and now the discourse forum.
I understand that StackOverflow and Reddit are more for users, not
developers, but the discourse forum seems mostly redundant.
What's the reason for that split? Is the mailing list deprecated? Which one
is the future?
I for myself prefer the mailing list because of the gmane NNTP service, I
can use my usual usenet software and have all my forums in one place.
Tobi
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think the point of discourse is that it provides a far better user
interface then the mailing list does. Mailing lists are pretty
backward in this day an age.

The basics are that you can tag discussions and use backticks to quote code etc.

Other smart things you can probably implement is sorting based on
which discussion has been more active on average response frequency in
given period of time, and not just you mail client's "most recently
replied to" kind of sorting.

Cross-referencing with github issues/pulls would be great to have!
Steve Klabnik
2014-08-01 16:51:05 UTC
I actually find mailing lists to have a perfectly serviceable UI, but
I recognize that others don't.

I'm just really an old man at heart...
Kevin Cantu
2014-08-01 17:50:11 UTC
Ditto.

/me scratches neck beard

Kevin

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Steve Klabnik <steve at steveklabnik.com>
Post by Steve Klabnik
I actually find mailing lists to have a perfectly serviceable UI, but
I recognize that others don't.
I'm just really an old man at heart...
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Blaine Pace
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Has anyone here tried using the Discourse instance in a mailing-list like
setup? I know this is one of the target audiences for Discourse installs,
there has been some work put in to make this happen, and some communities
have started migrating mailman lists to discourse.
Post by Steve Klabnik
I actually find mailing lists to have a perfectly serviceable UI, but
I recognize that others don't.
I'm just really an old man at heart...
Blaine Pace
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I went into my account settings for the Rust Discourse, and fiddled with
the email notifications such that I get emails for all topics, and replying
to the emails works just as with a mailing list. I quite like the HTML
emails that are sent also, as it makes code and links and such much easier
to grok.
Post by Steve Klabnik
I actually find mailing lists to have a perfectly serviceable UI, but
I recognize that others don't.
I'm just really an old man at heart...
Blaine Pace
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'm against the mailing list partially because I don't think email is the
best way to have these types of discussions anymore, and partially because
the mailing list instance running this list stores passwords in plaintext
(since it keeps emailing me my password in plaintext).
Post by Gulshan Singh
I'm against the mailing list partially because I don't think email is the
best way to have these types of discussions anymore, and partially because
Email is handy because it has a familiar UI and a good searchable
record. Also, because it can be put into whatever client you wish to
read within rather than having to rely upon some other method.
Post by Gulshan Singh
the mailing list instance running this list stores passwords in plaintext
(since it keeps emailing me my password in plaintext).
The system even tells you not to use a password you care about and
that it will send it to you in plain text once a month when you sign
up.

-eric
Diggory Hardy
2014-08-04 05:48:32 UTC
I like the mailing list for news items: new releases, This Week in Rust, RFCs
for discussion, etc. Maybe replace it with a news-only list where all posts
are moderated?

This is one thing both discourse and RFCs don't seem to be good at: summarised
news (e.g. notifications on new RFCs/discourses and daily compilations of
comments).

Just my 2 cents.