[rust-dev] minor problem with "amke install"
John McKown
2014-09-05 01:57:01 UTC
I run as a normal user (non-root) on Linux using Fedora 20 x86_64. I
did a git clone of rust just for fun and to learn. I then did:
,.configure && make all && sudo make install

The sudo make install worked, placing tge rust programs in /var/local.
However, it also left almost 4000 files behind in subdirectories under
the rust directory in my $HOME and they are owned by root. I do _not_
consider this to be a nice thing to do. These are the rust/tmp
subdirectory and the others are scattered under rust/doc.

The file containing the output from:

find rust -user 0 -ls
iis 464K in size, 3959 lines.
compressed with xz, the compressed size is 43K. I was going to attach
that file to this email, but then felt that would be unkind and likely
violate forum rules. So I have created a public gist on github. It is
here: https://gist.github.com/JohnArchieMckown/69104fcfde6835eb4d9f

Thanks for listening.
--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown
Brian Anderson
2014-09-05 01:59:18 UTC
Thanks for the report. It's probably
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/13728. This is an easy first
bug to fix if somebody wants to jump on it.
Thanks for listening.
John McKown
2014-09-05 12:00:29 UTC
Post by Brian Anderson
Thanks for the report. It's probably
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/13728. This is an easy first bug to
fix if somebody wants to jump on it.
Thanks for that link. I had some minor surgery yesterday, in the
morning, and was a bit "tipsy" the rest of the day. Including when I
sent the message. Which, somewhat, explains the poor grammar and
spelling. But only somewhat. I will look at those issues in github
before asking questions again, just to be sure that I'm not wasting
anybody's time. In this particular case, the solution, for me, is a
simple "sudo find" to chown the files. I might even be good enough to
figure out how to _properly_ do that during the "make install"
processing. If I do, I'll look up how to submit a change. I imagine it
is in the documentation somewhere. And, obviously from posting a gist,
I have a github account that I can use so that the maintainers could
just do a pull from my copy.

OOPS, time to go.
--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown
Kevin Ballard

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 4118 bytes
Desc: not available
John McKown
2014-09-05 23:27:06 UTC
Post by Kevin Ballard
I submitted a PR yesterday in response to this thread that fixes `sudo make install` to drop the root privs for everything except the actual installation: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/17009
-Kevin
They must have integrated your patch (or whatever its called with git
- merged?). I just did:

git pull && ./configure && make all && sudo make install

There were no files owned by root in my ~/source-oem/rust
subdirectory. I use "source-oem" for other people and vendor's source.

Thank you very much for that.