[rust-dev] submitting documentation updates?
John McKown
2014-09-07 15:39:29 UTC
Perhaps this is somewhere in the rust distribution and I simply
haven't found it yet. I have been read the rust documentation, which I
built from the doc/rust.html by converting it to a PDF, then reading
the PDF on my tablet. Which is beside the point.

I have seen some parts of the documentation which I believe are
incomplete (or just confusing to me) or not formatted correctly.

I am wondering what is the correct way to submit documentation updates
to the maintainers? I have done a fork on github into my own account.
And I keep it fairly well synchronized with the rust-lang repository.
I keep my changes in a separate branch, not in "master", so it is
easier for me to tell what I have changed.

One thing I'm curious about is: Should I make each logical change a
separate commit? If I do, it seems to me that would make it easier for
the maintainers to "cherry pick" what they would like and ignore
things they disagree with. I'm not used to using git for true
collaboration.

Many thanks for your assistance.
--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown
Kevin Cantu
2014-09-07 22:54:22 UTC
Pull requests are fine. Just go on GitHub and do a pull request from to
you/rust:branchx to rust-lang/rust:master. (Pull requests can go
cross-repo like that.) The core team is unlikely to cherry-pick.

Depends on what you're doing how much you'll want to put in separate pull
requests or all together.

Just ask around and we'll have you fluent with git in a jiffy.

Kevin

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mckown at gmail.com>
Post by John McKown
[...]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Kevin Cantu
Pull requests are fine. Just go on GitHub and do a pull request from to
you/rust:branchx to rust-lang/rust:master. (Pull requests can go cross-repo
like that.) The core team is unlikely to cherry-pick.
Depends on what you're doing how much you'll want to put in separate pull
requests or all together.
Just ask around and we'll have you fluent with git in a jiffy.
Kevin
Thanks for the information. Upon further review, my "fix" wasn't one.
I had cataract surgery 3 days ago (went very well) and my vision was a
bit blurry. So I misread what the original author wrote. The doc is
correct.

John McKown
Kevin Cantu
2014-09-08 02:21:02 UTC